Sunday, July 11, 2010

Shojo Jikakeno Libretto ~Lolitawork Libretto by Kanon Wakeshima



A bit delayed, but I finally got around to listening to Wakeshima's newest album, Lolitawork Libretto. First off, I am a huge fan of Wakeshima for a variety of reasons.
1) She's a cellist - even though I am a violinist now, I started playing cello when I was younger. I deeply regret dropping it now because its a beautiful instrument
2) She has an amazing voice
3) Awesome visual style

I can vouch for all of those, after seeing her live last summer at Otakon 2009. So, on to the new album!

Tracklist:
1.SHAKESPEARE NO WASUREMONO ~Prologue
2.KAJITSUNOKEIKOKU
3.HEROINE SYNDROME
4.TWINKLE STAR!
5.TOUMEI NO KAGI
6.MARMALADE SKY
7.KURONEKO TO PIANIST NO TANGO
8.PRINCESS CHARLESTON
9.TREE OF SORROW
10.CELMISIA
11.OTOMENOMAACHI
12.SHAKESPEARE NO WASUREMONO ~Epilogue
13.LOLITAWORK LIBRETTO STORYTELLING BY SOLITA

Thoughts:
This is a great album, first off. The Prologue and Epilogue, "Forgotten Shakespeare" boast a solid instrumental piece, one of Wakeshima's strengths. "Kajitsu no Keikoku" and "Heroine Syndrome" are good pieces that shows off her impressive vocals and compositional talents. They are songs I may have to attempt a cover for on violin. Possibly the only low point of the album is "Marmalade Sky", personally I just find her voice a little too immature, which clashes with the rest of the tracks.

Creatively, the songs branch out a bit more than Shinsoku Dolce. Particularly in Black cat and Princess Tango and Princess Charleston, there are dance themes, which make the ballroom dance nerd in me go nuts. The Tango has a great rhythm and a piano, just for kicks. And of course, the last track, Lolitawork Libretto is one of the principal tracks, solita lends an ethereal quality to the piece. The PV is incredible too.



Definitely check this album out!

No comments:

Post a Comment