Saturday, January 22, 2011

PCOS Study



(look, my nails match!)

I finished up the PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome) study I participated in since last year. It was an extended study to test the effect of estrogen on women with PCOS and without. It was time consuming in the sense I had to complete 2 overnight admissions. For each admission, it went like this:

4 days prior: Blood sample to check blood count, start estrogen patches
Evening of admission: Admitted, about 1cc of blood drawn every 10 minutes.
26 hours later: Released!

Fun facts
* This was through the University hospital
* The nursing staff / my doctor were REALLY nice.
* It was a great opportunity to contribute to research studies that especially benefit women.
*They fed me very, VERY well, if only because I gave a lot of blood and I had to eat and drink a ton the whole time.





Overall it was time consuming, but I'm glad I volunteered for the study. It was a good opportunity and as a bio major it was interesting to learn some stuff as I went along.

9 comments:

  1. Are there any side-effects to having enhanced oestrogen levels? (If bigger boobs - pics or it didn't happen.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm deadly afraid of menopause because my family always has early-onset, but this looks hopeful! It's so great that you volunteered :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really cool! I remember you talking about this a bit. Personally, I think you must be super brave. I've only been to the hospital a few times, and I'm always terrified to go in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WHOA you are one brave lady. That first dish looks really good too... steak & baked potato?! I love baked potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's great to have participated in the study! Good for you! I've got a huge bio nerd/everyone is a doctor background, so medical studies like this one are super important for the progression of research and studies (>u< )~

    I'm so glad you had a good experience in the study~ It looks so interesting~!

    Have you ever done anything like that before?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are indeed very brave for doing this. I actually noticed ads about womens' studies around my school, and I was thinking about it. Now looking at this post I think I'll definitely consider it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember seeing this on your tumblr and totally cringing. Arrrrgh! Still am, lol.

    Still, it's great that you're making a contribution for research! I didn't realise it was such a full on process. At least you were well-fed XD

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's pretty brave to be researched like that, good that they fed you well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are a kind of Guinea pig then.

    ReplyDelete