Monday, January 17, 2011

Conveyor Sushi



Sorry there's been a bit of a lull in posts. Between having guests, driving back and forth between my apartment and my parent's place, and getting ready for the new semester, I haven't had a lot of time for posts. Not to mention that my R Series order pretty much *just* shipped form my SS to me. But there will be a lengthy and detailed review post when that arrives, so that's what's coming on the lolita front.

From a food perspective, when I was back in Norther Virginia (Nova for short) I went to the conveyor belt sushi place at the mall. It opened up last winter, if I recall. These places have been popular in japan and in big cities like new york, so I was surprised that they opened one here.

The video is just a 13 sec shot of the dishes as they go by. You just pick whichever one you want as it goes. The edges are color coded by price. Besides sushi, sashimi, and maki, they have edamame, fresh fruit, and mousse, haha. It's a pretty cute place. The quality of the fish is somewhat lacking (but I've been spoiled by places with REALLY excellent sashimi) but the maki is decent and its more of the novelty factor.

Would you eat at a conveyor sushi place?

10 comments:

  1. Neat! If one opened near me, I'd give it a try. I doubt that it'll happen, in spite of how popular sushi is here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would only eat conveyor sushi if it was in japan, never in the states

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhh man dude I live in NoVa and totally know what restaurant that is :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like them but they're mostly fast food style places that are kind of overpriced here :/

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's a conveyor belt sushi place that's pretty cheap near my school, but I think it tastes kind of bad lol.

    Can't wait for your R-Series shipment to come in!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would be the one person gobbling down every edamame plate. I love edamame.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard this is a common way to present sushi in Japan. Kinda fast food.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I fucking love these things. Here we call them "sushi trains". I don't think they're hard to find if you're in the city (about 40 minutes from where I live).

    There's one place in Sydney though that my friend introduced me to where EVERY plate is only $3. Not to mention, they give you a little menu so that you can order things that you don't see on the train (because everyone else has snatched it first) and get it made fresh for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gya~! This looks so cool! Wish there was one where I live but there is not... I need to move to a bigger town...

    ReplyDelete